Friday 23 January 2009

ALTER A CANVAS











This week's Challenge is to alter a canvas - they're everywhere at the moment from art shops to pound shops (and dollar stores) and they come in all shapes and sizes. The larger one above is 8" square, and the small one is 2.5". What you can't see very well from these photos is that, inspired by Viola, I've turned them both around and used them as a kind of deep frame.

On each of them the central photo is raised up to give a 3D effect (which doesn't photograph very well). On the smaller one the reverse side of the canvas was a nice natural linen look, so I left it like that and painted the canvas edges with distress crackle paint in antique linen. I've always enjoyed Viola's use of lace too, so both canvases feature it, although I think I may age the lace on the larger one a bit, it seems to look too pristine. The metal plaque on the larger canvas is meant for a title when I can think of one!!

Look forward to seeing your creations and, as ever, I do want to say how much we enjoy sharing them!

26 comments:

Sandy said...

Brilliant theme. Here is my canvas, thanks for looking.

Canvas for am men

Viola said...

Stunning artwork, Rosie! Both look absolutely gorgeous!! :o)

Virginia said...

Wonderful artwork..
Mine is Here
Thank you for the wonderful challenge.

Jaqi said...

Stunning, what great examples. Another brilliant challenge, Jaqi x

Barb said...

OMG, your canvas pieces are amazing! Thanks for sharing - happy week-end.

tam said...

Oh those are all so sweet! Great idea too! have a wonderful weekend!~Smiles~Tam!

Tine said...

Hello,
here is mine:
http://nordseetine.blogspot.com/2009/01/awfully-big-art-adventure.html#links
Thanks for looking!
Have a nice weekend!

MARGARET FIELD said...

2 beautiful pieces of work

crafty creations said...

beautiful work

Mine is here

Thanks for looking

Cora said...

Here is my canvas.
http://paperflowers1.blogspot.com/2009/01/art-adventure-canvas.html

indybev said...

My local art group just did a mini-canvas swap. Not one of us thought to reverse the canvas and use the "deep well" on the reverse side! I wish I had seen this first. Oh, so clever! Love them.

June said...

Wow fantastic work on the canvases ... I havent found any yet but will look out for some.
Hugs June x

Janny said...

Lovely work ladys and theme,
here is my entry:
http://wwwtricolore.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Every week you outdo yourselves with fabulous ideas! I love your canvases Rosie, and took inspiration especially from your example on the left. Here's mine on my blog:

Art In Red Wagons

Jendy said...

I thank you for the challenge. Once again, I enjoyed it greatly!
You will find mine on my blog:

htp://jendypendy.blogspot.com/

SueHart said...

Stunning canvasses.
Mine is here:

http://yorkiepudsblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/do-i-look-pretty.html

Jan said...

Some brilliant entries.
Here is my canvas - thank you for loking.

RubyMay said...

Brilliant challenge !
My entry is here
thanks for looking x

Karen said...

hahahaha thanks for your comment Linda and I hadn't even got round to leaving a comment on here!!!!!

Mine is here!

~*~Patty S said...

Thank you for another lovely challenge ladies, such gorgeous samples. Here you will find my offering:

http://bitze.wordpress.com/2009/01/28/freut-mich/

Sharon said...

Thanks for this weeks challenge... super project.........
not quite finished but her is mine

Sharon xx

http://magpiesarttreasurechest.blogspot.com/

Jaqi said...

Finally I have finished my canvas and i love it.
You can find it here thanks for looking, Jaqi x

Jaqi said...

Karen, I cant find your canvas to leave you a message, i cant get the link to work, what could i be doing wrong? Jaqi

Jendy said...

I know, I've already posted once, but I was so inspired this week that I did a second canvas! You can see it on my blog...

nikki said...

they are both beautiful...i love the angel embellishment on the top of the smaller piece...and the white lace on the larger one is so pretty and really contrasts gorgeously against the background...wonderful work!

Minxy said...

I know i'm well late with this one but thought i'd share it anyway...
see it here